Etymologically speaking, the word Marratxí has three possible origins. On the one hand derived from the Mozarabic of Barrack, it could also come from the Arabian word Marraquesh and finally from the word Marruqush. The first time that its name appeared as a municipality on the 'Llibre de repartiment de Mallorca' is under the name of Barraxino. The remains that have been found up to date in the region of the municipality show that it has been inhabited by all the cultures that have come to the island, from the Talaiots, to the Romans, Arabs and Christians of Medieval times.
In the nucleus of Pòrtol and Sa Cabaneta, the tradition of modelling with clay dates back to the XVIII century, it was at this time that the 'ollerías' and the potteries were installed, potteries that originated from the neighbour Santa Eugenia, introducing a trade that has been passed on from fathers to sons.
The first train arrived at the municipality in the year 1875 when the railway line was inaugurated Palma-Inca of 28,6 km.
The municipality is made up of various inhabited areas: Marratxinet (originating nucleus), Pont dInca, Pla de Na tesa, Sa Cabaneta, Pórtol and Es Caulls, amongst others. Four of these have their own church: Sa Cabaneta (San Marcial), Es Pont d'Inca (San Alonso Rodríguez), Es Pla de Na Tesa (San Lázaro) and Pòrtol (Nuestra Señora del Carmen). Sa Cabaneta is the administrative capital where the Town Hall and the courts can be found.
Look to see the location of Marratxí on the map.
There are in existence 14 archaeological beds, and the main ones are of the Pre-Talaiotic period: Coves de Son Cós (Sa Vileta, Na Xeremina and Can Pinet), coves de Sa Cabaneta, cova de Can Pinso and of Son Caulelles . Talaiotic Period: Talaiot de Can Vicand archaeological remains of Ca Madó Paliva de Son Ametler and de Son Sales.
Church of San Marcial: It was built in the XVII and XVIII centuries by Lluc Mesquida. It is of great importance because San Marcial is the Patron Saint of the municipality. In the interior of the church there is a series of historical pictures by de Joan Deià of the year 1734. The structure of the building suffered serious damages owing to an earthquake in the year 1851, which led to a restoration and enlargement dated in the year 1864.
Church of San Alonso Rodríguez is to be found in the town centre and was work of the famous architect Gaspar Bennazar in the XX century and dedicated to San Alonso Rodríguez, Santa Catalina Tomás and the devout Ramon Llull.
Church of San Lázaro in Pla de Na Tesa. In the year 1857, the principal owners of the area decided (in agreement with the priest of San Marcial) to buy a plot of land between the mountain paths and Son Alegre, and give it to the bishopric. In this land, at the beginnings of the year 1858, the first stone of the temple was placed, and the work was finished on the 27th of October in the year 1864. In the year 1874 the sacristy was built on the left side of the temple. In the year 1889 work started on the bell tower, a mixture of Neo-Gothic classical, the finishing point was the placement of two bells, the smaller one coming from Barcelona and the other, the larger one, from Palma. In front of the church there is a well conserved public fountain which dates back to the year 1877.
Ermita de la Paz: Situated in Son Seguí. It is very popular amongst the inhabitants of Pòrtol, Santa María and Santa Eugenia, the pilgrimmage to this Hermit the domingo del Ángel or Angel Sunday (Sunday after Easter) where they do 'pa amb caritat' (bread with charitableness). The hermit is actually located in the municipality of Santa María, in the middle of the ridge that separates Marratxí from Santa María. The Town Hall and other public institutions organize a meal for all the public. Some youths camp out the night before.
Clay Museum (Museu del Fang): in the Molino de Sa Cabaneta there is a museum which displays one of the oldest and most glorified traditions of this municipality, the craft of pottery with clay. There are about 900 objects altogether on exhibition.
Historical Buildings: Es Pont d'Inca: Ca ses Monges Franceses, posada Son Sales, Cas Metge Suau, Can Fluixà and Can Moragues. Marratxinet: Can Serra with a semicircular portal and sun-dial. Pòrtol: Ca ses monges and Es Cine. Pla de Na Tesa: Can Valla, Can Coll and Can Bosch.
Antique textile factory of Ses Llistes. At present reconverted into the school Es Liceu in Sa Cabana.
Aeródromo de Son Bonet. Situated between Pont d'Inca and Pla de Na Tesa.
Sa Farinera: In the year 1880 the flour firm "Harinera Mallorquina" or "Harinera Balear", contracted the architect Eusebio Estada to construct a large factory in the main avenue of the village of Pont d'Inca. With its seven floors, it became the highest building of the island and, as a curious point, had the same number of windows in it as the year has days: 365. The firm transported flour, cereals and barrels of wine. It gained great importance when the company bought two ships called Cataluña and Balear to export wine to France due to the affectation of the phylloxera in this country. The cause of its boom was the same as the cause of its failure when in the year 1895 the phylloxera affected Mallorca. The building once known for being the highest of the island was worn away in the year 1915 with only its characteristic chimney still standing, which even today stands high above the other buildings which have their height controlled due to the proximity of the aerodrome. Nowadays this land is occupied by the 'Bodega Suau' and 'Helados La Menorquina'.
Bodegas Suau: Liquor factory that elaborated the Brandy 1851, a real gem for the taste buds, of which the majority is destined for exportation. They also produce a drink made from herbs both a sweet version and a dry version and which is very typical of Mallorca. The location of the distillery is the old grounds of Sa Farinera. In 1951, Frederic Suau, merchant seaman founded the company Bodegas Suau. It is also known as ' la del barquito' (the one of the little ship), as on the label there is a ship with the name of El Mallorquín (The Majorcan) which was property of Federic Suau. There is a small museum where it is possible to observe, although in disuse, the original well of the factory from the XIX century and the distillery of the well-known Majorcan brandy. Recently, a tunnel has been found in the cellars which is 45 metres long which was the old basement of Sa Farinera which connects with the characteristic chimney.
To see some interesting facts about its demography and others about its population, please click here.
The economy of Marratxi was mainly agriculture and also centred on the craft of pottery and ceramics which was well established in the municipality. Nevertheless, the arrival of the train and the motorway have made Marratxí very adjacent to Palma with excellent communications and a very privileged position, considered by some as a dormitory town of Palma and mainly formed of one-family homes of recent construction. These circumstances have made the economy turn towards other sectors such as the commercial, building and distillery companies.
At present there is an industrial estate (Polígono Industrial de Marratxí) which broadens the economic variety of the municipality, a large hypermarket (Alcampo) and a Leisure Centre with a good name and a reference point in all of Mallorca (Festival Park).
Look on the link to see the location and some websites of the Education Centres of the municipality of Marratxí.
The motorway which connects Palma with Inca (Ma-13A) goes through Marratxí passing through Es Pont d'Inca and Es Figueral. There are deviations to reach the rest of the urban centres. The motorway to Inca has three turn offs in the municipality of Marratxí.
The railway line which unites Palma with Inca has several stops within the municipality: Pont d'Inca, Pont d'Inca Nou, Polígono Industrial/Instituto (industrial estate of Marratxí), Es Figueral (Marratxí) and the latest stop in the leisure centre called Festival Park.
The Aeródromo de Son Bonet, between Pont d'Inca and Pla de Na Tesa was the first civil airport of the island, although during the 60s the service was moved to the present Airport 'Aeropuerto de Palma de Mallorca', in Palma of Mallorca. Nowadays it is used as an aerodrome for general aviation and it is also the base for aircraft that help control forest fires.
The nearest golf courses to Marratxi for the practice of this noble sport are that of Alcanada and Golf Pollensa.
Rastrillo semanal: This is a street market which is held every Sunday morning. It was inaugurated in the month of September of the year 2009 in the urbanization of Sant Marçal. As from the 19th of October it will be moved to the industrial estate of Marratxi.
Fiesta de Sant Marçal: 30th of June. The Patron Saint festivities of the entire region. In olden days it marked the beginning of the summer season for the agricultural activities. Many believed that the water from the water cistern of the Saint was able to cure the illnesses and enrich the heart of those who drank from it.
Fiesta de la Mare de Déu del Carme: It is celebrated in Pòrtol the l6th of July.
Fiesta de Sant Alonso: It is celebrated on the 28th of July in Es Pont d'Inca.
Fiesta de Es Figueral and Can Farineta: These celebrations are the last week-end of August, in these two urbanizations. They have become extremely popular in recent years as they are the top of the list of all those celebrated in the different urban nucleus.
Fiesta de Sant Llàtzer: This is celebrated on the 24th of August in Pla de Na Tesa.
Feria del barro (Fira del Fang): This is celebrated yearly during the first two weeks of March in the enclosure of the Ses tres Germanes. The fair includes a wide range of objects on show, pots, urns, plates, cups, mugs, 'siurells' and all types of useful earthenware objects which have been made for many years in small family workshops of the municipality, in the zone of Sa Cabaneta and, especially, in Pòrtol. The production of pots, aided by the abundant red earth in the surroundings of Marratxí, has converted "la industria del fang" or earthenware industry in the most characteristic element of the municipality and for this reason the prestigious traditional Fair known locally as the "Feria del Barro", organized by the Town Hall of Marratxí. The fair includes displays, demonstrations, workshops, exhibitions conferences, music and folkloric dancing. It ends with the popular "Trencadissa".
The third Saturday of the month of September every year a walk up to the monastery of Lluch is organized called subida a Lluc (Pujada a Lluc) which is a mini version as far as kilometres are concerned to the classic one from Palma the well-known 'Lluc a pie' (Pujada De's Güell a Lluc a peu), (originally from the antigue Bar Guell but which no longer exists). In Marratxí, the tradition tells us a story of more than twenty editions and consists of a ride in bus to Inca and from there a pilgrimmage on foot to the Monastery of Lluc.
Feria del Otoño (Fira de Tardor): This is celebrated since the year 1995 in November and takes place in the square known as the Plaza de San Marçal in Sa Cabaneta. There are displays showing the art of stone craft, cabinetwork, livestock, and all this added to the popular dancing, exhibitions of antique cars and the dancing of the 'giants'.
Feria de la leche de almendra (Fira de Sa Llet d'ametla): This Fair has been celebrated since 2006 in December and takes place in the square of Plaza de Es Pla de Na Tesa.
Fiestas de San Antonio: To celebrate the festivities of San Antonio in the municipality, various associations and private people organize barbecues in the open air.
Fiestas de Carnaval y Sa Rueta: In February for the Carnival a variety of functions are organized and which end in a street parade.
Motor Retro Marratxí: At the end of May the association of Historical Motors of Mallorca, organize a fair exclusively dedicated to antique and classic motor vehicles near to the church of San Marcial in Sa Cabaneta.
Marratxí is the municipality of Mallorca that has experienced the greatest residential development in the last ten years. It is very well connected by motorway, at only 7 minutes from Palma and is one of the largest residential zones of the island. Within the boundaries of the municipality are the commercial centre AlCampo and Festival Park, with a multi-cinema service, restaurants and many outlet shops.